A Story of Ethics & Technology
I studied Philosophy of Science and Technology at the University of Toronto (Hons. BA), Epistemology, Ethics and Mind at the University of Edinburgh (MSc) and Science and Technology Studies at York University (MA). I completed my Ph.D. on the ethics and design of military AI at the Northwestern Italian Philosophy Consortium.
Additionally, I served as a junior associate at the Global Catastrophic Risk Institute from 2013 to 2018, where my primary research and authorship was on atomically precise manufacturing (APM) and other nanotechnology. I was previously a researcher at the Bruno Kessler Foundation in 2023, working on the ethics of generative AI as well as a Stiftung Südtiroler Sparkasse Global Fellow at the Center for Advanced Studies at Eurac Research. Similarly, I am currently an expert consultant at Ethical Intelligence Associates Ltd., where I provide consultancy for companies to gain a competitive edge by mitigating ethical risks and formulating custom tools and protocols to embed ethics into their practices that align with current ethical guidelines and company values.
Currently, my main area of research revolves around Value Sensitive Design (VSD), its philosophical foundation as well as its potential application to emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence.
- Research Fellow - TU Delft
- Researcher - Bruno Kessler Foundation
- Stiftung Südtiroler Sparkasse Global Fellow - Eurac Research
- Junior Associate – Global Catastrophic Risk Institute
- Associate Editor – Science and Engineering Ethics
- Guest Editor – International Journal of Technoethics, special issue on Engineering Ethics: Bridging the Theory-Practice Gap
- Associate Editor – International Journal of Technoethics
- Editorial Review Board Member – International Journal of Technoethics
- Guest Editor – Between the Species: Journal of Philosophy and Animals, special issue on Animal Enhancement
- PhD - University of Turin (Italy) - Philosophy
- MSc - University if Edinburgh (UK) - Ethics
- MA - York University (Canada) - Science & Technology Studies
- H.B.A - University of Toronto (Canada) - Philosophy & Classics
- Values for a Post-Pandemic Future: Ethics, Technology, and the ‘New Normal', Dennis, Matthew; Ishmaev, Georgy; Umbrello, Steven; van den Hoven, Jeroen (eds.) 2022. Springer Nature.
- "Meaningful Human Control over Smart Home Systems: A Value Sensitive Design Approach," HUMANA. MENTE Journal of Philosophical Studies, Special Issue: "Living with Artificial Intelligence. An Analysis of Moral and Philosophical Implications in our Everyday Life," Vol. 13, No. 37, 40-65.
- "Imaginative Value Sensitive Design: Using Moral Imagination Theory to Inform Responsible Technology Design," Science and Engineering Ethics, Vol. 26, No. 2, 575-595. DOI: 10.1007/s11948-019-00104-4
- "Beneficial AI Coordination by means of a Value Sensitive Design Approach." Big Data and Cognitive Computing, Special Issue: "Artificial Superintelligence: Coordination & Strategy," Vol.3, No.1, (5). DOI: 10.3390/bdcc3010005
- "The Moral Psychology of Value Sensitive Design: the Methodological Issues open_in_newof Moral Intuitions for Responsible Innovation," Journal of Responsible Innovation, Vol. 5, No. 2, 186-200. DOI: 10.1080/23299460.2018.1457401
- "Conceptualizing Policy in Value Sensitive Design: A Machine Ethics Approach," In Steven John Thompson (ed.), Machine Law, Ethics, and Morality in the Age of Artificial Intelligence, IGI Global. forthcoming. ISBN: 9781799848943
- "A Value-Sensitive Design Approach to Intelligent Agents," In Roman Yampolskiy (ed.), Artificial Intelligence Safety and Security, New York: Chapman and Hall/CRC, 395-410. DOI: 10.1201/9781351251389, ISBN 9780815369820
- "Reimagining the future of engineering," In Diane P. Michelfelder and Neelke Doorn (eds.), Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of Engineering, Routledge, forthcoming.